Katabasis (Kuang)
Jul. 25th, 2026 12:12 pmahhhhh I have so. many. conflicting feelings about this book. I spent the first, oh, two-thirds being actually kind of angry at it, because I could see that it was so close to being a good book and yet it didn't quite hit the mark for me... although also, though it didn't actually hit the mark it was still a book that I was snarfing through when I should have been doing Hugo reading, so it clearly still had a lot going for it. Then I spent the last third really liking it, to my surprise.
The idea is awesome. In a Magick AU of Cambridge, Alice's celebrity magick thesis advisor, Professor Grimes, dies. Alice is responsible through negligence, plus which she needs her advisor to write her recommendation letters and get her a tenure-track position, so she goes to Hell to rescue him. Her fellow student, Peter (everyone in my family felt he should have been named Bob, or at least Robert, but I suppose that would have been Too Much), comes with her at the last moment.
(I told D. about this book and his first reaction was, "The author is clearly a grad student." Of course Kuang is.)
The grad school part, and Hell as academia: this conceit was just brilliant and I loved it a lot. The execution varied, but I will say that Dis as a dissertation writing group was, I thought, completely awesome and hilarious! Magic academia is a mix in this book of kind of fun and hilarious but also kind of "but would it actually work that way?" Alice is a magician who seems to do magic based on historical research with a giant dose of philosophy. Bob -- I mean Peter -- is a magician who seems to do magic based on logic and mathematics. Like, okay, both of them sort of overlap in the philosophy realm, but it makes zero sense to me that both of them would be working with the same advisor. How does that even work? I did love that magic was bound up so much with paradoxes and what you could bring yourself to believe (and details such as that Alice could get out via the paradox of the Unexpected Hanging but Peter could not, because she could be confused by it, while he's a mathematician who knows how to resolve it so he couldn't be "fooled" by it).
I think the real issue I had with this book was one of character consistency. For example, we get this reveal about Alice a third of the way through the book that should have strongly informed everything about her characterization up to that point. I can see vague pointers to it but not the sort of strong characterization I would have expected.
The worst offender is Professor Grimes. I felt like I got whiplash because sometimes it was like he was supposed to be plausibly not terrible (while still being terrible inside), and then it would be like "haha, no, just kidding, he is the WORST" in such a way that he was like a caricature of evil thesis advisors.
Alice's view of Grimes also flip-flops constantly, seemingly without any awareness either from her or any other character that it's doing so. One chapter she'll be all "I hated him, I just wanted to bring him back to life so I could torture him," and a couple of chapters later she'll be like, "I just wanted him to be proud of me." Now, I'm not saying those reactions can't coexist, clearly they can, but any individual reaction always seems to be treated in the moment like The One True Reaction. In the first two-thirds of the book, when she hates him, she never really thinks about any of her positive or conflicted feelings, and when she's feeling like she wants him to be proud of her, she isn't channeling any of the hate. And whoever she is with latches on to whatever she's thinking in that chapter, as if that's the only thing she's ever thought. Kuang clearly, in retrospect, meant for it to be more of a nuanced viewpoint rather than a flip-flop, but I definitely experienced it while reading as a flip-flop.
On Peter: I'd been spoiled for the reveal of what's going on with him, and it didn't bother me as much as I'd thought it would.
One of the things I thought was odd about this book was how much Kuang seems not to actually care about hell, which was surprising given that, y'know, the whole conceit of the book is, well, hell. We get a long description of the first level, Pride (+), a pretty short description of the second level, Desire, we skip the third one entirely (Greed, I think), the fourth one (Wrath) gets pre-empted by a trap, fifth, sixth, and seventh (Violence, Cruelty, Tyranny) are so short (maybe a page each) that I almost missed them. I mean, it's OK with me (I always preferred Purgatory anyway), but it just seems odd.
But the last third of the book did a lot to reconcile me to everything. It turns out Kuang and the novel do not care much about the levels of Hell because it wasn't about that, it was about the people we met on the way, and also about the last Court of Hell, and facing what you fear. And Alice does, in fact, finally have both the feelings of "I want you to approve of me" and "I want to destroy you" (though even here the two reactions seem curiously divorced from each other). I still felt rather as if Grimes was a caricature of Evil Thesis Advisor. I would have preferred him to be humanly evil, though I can see why that would be hard to do in this novel, because in the end the whole point is that it's not about him, not in the slightest; it's about Alice, it's about Elspeth, about even Gradus and the Kripkes. It's about the different ways to -- I won't call it redemption, because the book doesn't deal in that sort of thing, not really -- to be human. To be more human, which may in the end turn out to be the same (thematically, at least) as emerging from Hell.
(+) One more thing: I imagine this is a niche view, and because I know this, by itself it wouldn't have sunk the book, though I do think it speaks to a certain viewpoint, but gosh this one thing irked me for the first two thirds so much. Soooo... in this AU, all the journeys to the underworld in literature are literally that, as you might imagine. And Dante, of course, is the master of journey-to-the-underworld Western literature, so he is namechecked quite a bit. And the thing is, Dante is my boy, and every time Dante came up in the first two-thirds I would kind of writhe a little.
That being said. Once we got to the city of Dis, it was all right, because Kuang clearly put a lot of thought into Dis and what it meant, and it just lands absolutely right for me. And then, and then! the last line is, And together they emerged, to rebehold the stars. And. It turns out I am easy: if you just evoke e quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle to me, if you show me that you understand that of Dante, I will forgive you all manner of sins. Which -- learning to move beyond pettiness-- I suppose is the point of both hell in the book, and the book as a whole, so... this response of mine is thematic, I suppose?
So... yeah. If I'd read this in 2025 I would have nominated it for the Hugos (and I definitely would have voted for it over Everlasting or Raven Scholar, and probably some other ones too). But I still wish that the first two-thirds had been a little... less... irritating? In any case I think I come down on really liking it, in the end, on the strength of that last third, though certainly with reservations, and a big part of me still wishes for a book that engaged with Dante in ways this book was clearly not interested in doing. (For instance, it would have been very interesting to me if pride had been a big deal, and Grimes had got caught in that, with his other sins really being unmasked as sins of pride. And Alice too! But anyway!)
The idea is awesome. In a Magick AU of Cambridge, Alice's celebrity magick thesis advisor, Professor Grimes, dies. Alice is responsible through negligence, plus which she needs her advisor to write her recommendation letters and get her a tenure-track position, so she goes to Hell to rescue him. Her fellow student, Peter (everyone in my family felt he should have been named Bob, or at least Robert, but I suppose that would have been Too Much), comes with her at the last moment.
(I told D. about this book and his first reaction was, "The author is clearly a grad student." Of course Kuang is.)
The grad school part, and Hell as academia: this conceit was just brilliant and I loved it a lot. The execution varied, but I will say that Dis as a dissertation writing group was, I thought, completely awesome and hilarious! Magic academia is a mix in this book of kind of fun and hilarious but also kind of "but would it actually work that way?" Alice is a magician who seems to do magic based on historical research with a giant dose of philosophy. Bob -- I mean Peter -- is a magician who seems to do magic based on logic and mathematics. Like, okay, both of them sort of overlap in the philosophy realm, but it makes zero sense to me that both of them would be working with the same advisor. How does that even work? I did love that magic was bound up so much with paradoxes and what you could bring yourself to believe (and details such as that Alice could get out via the paradox of the Unexpected Hanging but Peter could not, because she could be confused by it, while he's a mathematician who knows how to resolve it so he couldn't be "fooled" by it).
I think the real issue I had with this book was one of character consistency. For example, we get this reveal about Alice a third of the way through the book that should have strongly informed everything about her characterization up to that point. I can see vague pointers to it but not the sort of strong characterization I would have expected.
Spoilers
That is to say, Grimes having cut the pentagram in Alice's skin to give her perfect recall should have meant that from the very beginning she should have had extremely acute memory and also an extremely acute sense of things that she can't forget but wishes she could. The latter is vaguely alluded to as anxiety a couple of times, but like... I literally flipped to a random page near the beginning and got this: "She did not recall any archival information about queuing to depart Asphodel -- Orpheus and all the rest seemed to just walk right into the courts --" If she has perfect memory, she shouldn't be thinking so tentatively! She should be much more confident about it! I should have had no doubt that she had a superlative memory by the time that reveal drops, and I had no idea.The worst offender is Professor Grimes. I felt like I got whiplash because sometimes it was like he was supposed to be plausibly not terrible (while still being terrible inside), and then it would be like "haha, no, just kidding, he is the WORST" in such a way that he was like a caricature of evil thesis advisors.
Spoilers
When the pentagram thing came up, I quite liked it -- it seemed clear to me that it was a non-sexual and potentially non-gendered stand-in for sexual harassment in the way that it violates her bodily autonomy in a way that depends on very dubious consent with power dynamics -- and that would have been fascinating to explore, especially if Grimes had been painted as an interestingly flawed person in power who went too far and didn't admit it -- but then, nope, we get the actual sexual harassment / attempted rape with Alice (as well as another woman from the department), and then also for an encore he steals Peter's work, because why not, and in neither case is there any plausible deniability at all, just "yeah, this is just because I am Evil Thesis Advisor."Alice's view of Grimes also flip-flops constantly, seemingly without any awareness either from her or any other character that it's doing so. One chapter she'll be all "I hated him, I just wanted to bring him back to life so I could torture him," and a couple of chapters later she'll be like, "I just wanted him to be proud of me." Now, I'm not saying those reactions can't coexist, clearly they can, but any individual reaction always seems to be treated in the moment like The One True Reaction. In the first two-thirds of the book, when she hates him, she never really thinks about any of her positive or conflicted feelings, and when she's feeling like she wants him to be proud of her, she isn't channeling any of the hate. And whoever she is with latches on to whatever she's thinking in that chapter, as if that's the only thing she's ever thought. Kuang clearly, in retrospect, meant for it to be more of a nuanced viewpoint rather than a flip-flop, but I definitely experienced it while reading as a flip-flop.
On Peter: I'd been spoiled for the reveal of what's going on with him, and it didn't bother me as much as I'd thought it would.
Spoilers
Peter turns out to have Crohn's disease, plus a Childhood Trauma where he hated people feeling sorry for him so he never told anyone he had Crohn's, so no one knew that's why he was disappearing for months and also he was sometimes very distant with people because of it. I didn't get the sense that he wasn't still brilliant, but it was hard for him sometimes to get anything done when he was in pain and he had to work hard to make up for it afterwards (yeah, fair), and sometimes he glossed over how hard he had to work in general (also fair, this seems to be a thing that happens).One of the things I thought was odd about this book was how much Kuang seems not to actually care about hell, which was surprising given that, y'know, the whole conceit of the book is, well, hell. We get a long description of the first level, Pride (+), a pretty short description of the second level, Desire, we skip the third one entirely (Greed, I think), the fourth one (Wrath) gets pre-empted by a trap, fifth, sixth, and seventh (Violence, Cruelty, Tyranny) are so short (maybe a page each) that I almost missed them. I mean, it's OK with me (I always preferred Purgatory anyway), but it just seems odd.
But the last third of the book did a lot to reconcile me to everything. It turns out Kuang and the novel do not care much about the levels of Hell because it wasn't about that, it was about the people we met on the way, and also about the last Court of Hell, and facing what you fear. And Alice does, in fact, finally have both the feelings of "I want you to approve of me" and "I want to destroy you" (though even here the two reactions seem curiously divorced from each other). I still felt rather as if Grimes was a caricature of Evil Thesis Advisor. I would have preferred him to be humanly evil, though I can see why that would be hard to do in this novel, because in the end the whole point is that it's not about him, not in the slightest; it's about Alice, it's about Elspeth, about even Gradus and the Kripkes. It's about the different ways to -- I won't call it redemption, because the book doesn't deal in that sort of thing, not really -- to be human. To be more human, which may in the end turn out to be the same (thematically, at least) as emerging from Hell.
(+) One more thing: I imagine this is a niche view, and because I know this, by itself it wouldn't have sunk the book, though I do think it speaks to a certain viewpoint, but gosh this one thing irked me for the first two thirds so much. Soooo... in this AU, all the journeys to the underworld in literature are literally that, as you might imagine. And Dante, of course, is the master of journey-to-the-underworld Western literature, so he is namechecked quite a bit. And the thing is, Dante is my boy, and every time Dante came up in the first two-thirds I would kind of writhe a little.
Dante! and the last line
The circle of pride is NOT first in hell (although I did find that segment of the book, with prideful scholars, rather amusing), and it is absolutely not next to "desire," which Kuang correctly states is a quite light sin. Pride is the most fundamental terrace in Purgatory, because Pride is the most fundamental sin, the one that takes us farthest from God. Also: Dante never said heresy is the deepest circle of hell, wtf!! Dante was WAY more sophisticated than you would think from Kuang! (It's possible that this was AU!Dante, but I would absolutely have needed more to have convinced me of this.)That being said. Once we got to the city of Dis, it was all right, because Kuang clearly put a lot of thought into Dis and what it meant, and it just lands absolutely right for me. And then, and then! the last line is, And together they emerged, to rebehold the stars. And. It turns out I am easy: if you just evoke e quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle to me, if you show me that you understand that of Dante, I will forgive you all manner of sins. Which -- learning to move beyond pettiness-- I suppose is the point of both hell in the book, and the book as a whole, so... this response of mine is thematic, I suppose?
So... yeah. If I'd read this in 2025 I would have nominated it for the Hugos (and I definitely would have voted for it over Everlasting or Raven Scholar, and probably some other ones too). But I still wish that the first two-thirds had been a little... less... irritating? In any case I think I come down on really liking it, in the end, on the strength of that last third, though certainly with reservations, and a big part of me still wishes for a book that engaged with Dante in ways this book was clearly not interested in doing. (For instance, it would have been very interesting to me if pride had been a big deal, and Grimes had got caught in that, with his other sins really being unmasked as sins of pride. And Alice too! But anyway!)
no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 08:19 pm (UTC)I also thought The Poppy War derived a lot of its intended impact from the reader knowing nothing about Chinese history or literature.
Your comment that the Evil Advisor is just evil, for no reason, makes total sense to me in this framework. Kuang doesn't have what the theoreticians call a "critique of power"; she just hates it. *Of course* the powerful are evil; *of course* they do the vicious and exploitative things they do out of purely evil motivations. Why wouldn't they? (And it's always Them, not Us.)
no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 09:29 pm (UTC)And yeah, if you like Dante, you should not read this :P :) The whole Dante thing just made me want to beat my head against the wall for an awfully long time (Kuang, did you seriously not read two-thirds of the fundamental text your novel is based on?? because it looks very much like that), and I freely admit that I was won over only because one really doesn't have to do very much at all (clearly) to win me over where Dante is concerned.
The academic-book-ness of it was interesting, because sometimes I did feel like it was hilarious, but never in a way that I really was drawn in by it in some sort of deeper sense -- in contrast, I was rereading bits of Possession the other day, and that's a book that really is academic both in style and in philosophy.
I found Kuang's other words unsubtle and condescending
Yep! That's fair! I am not going to read Babel, which I'm very sure I'll dislike. I didn't finish Yellowface. I did like The Poppy War (though not enough to read the sequels), though yeah, I knew nothing about Chinese history or literature, so.
I think the fact that the Evil Advisor was offscreen for most of the book worked in its favor, honestly. But... yeah. He is Evil just Because, as far as I can tell.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 06:18 am (UTC)(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 08:48 pm (UTC)(everyone in my family felt he should have been named Bob, or at least Robert, but I suppose that would have been Too Much)
Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End has a married couple named Alice and Bob, and then fails to deliver the cryptographic premise!
no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 09:38 pm (UTC)Yeah, I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book! I ended up liking it, but I don't know if you would actually like it. (I think it's likely you wouldn't, actually.) I can totally see how it is a polarizing book.
Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End has a married couple named Alice and Bob, and then fails to deliver the cryptographic premise!
What!! Vinge, you tease!
Ahh we have that book, I keep meaning to read it but haven't yet!
no subject
Date: 2026-07-27 12:29 am (UTC)But I have plenty of other things to read so I will probably keep skipping Katabasis.
Rainbows End is not my favorite Vinge, as you can tell from the fact that the main things I remember are that detail and the shredding of the university library to digitize it.
(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 10:42 pm (UTC)I’ve been waffling about whether to read this book, because the premise really sounds right up my street, but I’ve seen such mixed reviews about it. Your review is kind of making me think I might take a chance on it… enough so that I avoided reading the spoilers.
Also, I understand this is not the point at all, but I’m really curious about whether the advisor actually wrote the recommendation letters after all that. I feel like that scene has the potential to be hilarious:
“Hey, Professor, I know you’re dead, but could you pleeeeeease write a recommendation for me? It’s due tomorrow, and they only accept faxes on official university letterhead, and they also require you to fill out this form with ratings in each of these eighteen categories…”
“... You know what, just leave me in hell, okay?”
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 12:09 am (UTC)Ha, yeah, I forgot to say this in the post but the only reason I read it was that I picked it up in the library while A. was looking for books, and then just kept reading it. I think it's... possible?... that you might like it? It's so hard to say! I am quite sure that
“Hey, Professor, I know you’re dead, but could you pleeeeeease write a recommendation for me? It’s due tomorrow, and they only accept faxes on official university letterhead, and they also require you to fill out this form with ratings in each of these eighteen categories…”
“... You know what, just leave me in hell, okay?”
I LOVE THIS. I kind of feel like this book needs AU fic written along these lines...
no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 10:54 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-25 11:56 pm (UTC)Though that reminds me of another annoyance I had with it, which is that sometimes she's just unpleasant for reasons I don't understand -- it's another of those "locally she says she has some sort of justification but this is not something that is a long-term character choice so I don't quite see how it works."
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 01:45 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 03:17 am (UTC)The circles in this book are just so weird. What's the difference between Wrath and Violence? Who knows. Until then I thought it was a seven-deadly-sins sort of thing like Dante does in the Purgatorio, out of order, but Envy and Sloth and Avarice don't even make an appearance. (Interestingly, because Alice would be very prone to Envy, I think.)
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 05:03 am (UTC)(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 06:53 am (UTC)(My impression from reading Dreamwidth reactions is of a tendency towards unsympathetic protagonists, plus a certain grimness and lack of nuance. Not always bad things, but I read fiction mainly for escapism and a sense of, for want of a better word at the moment, "light".)
Your review is a reminder that Katabasis might be many things, but at least it isn't boring!
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 11:14 pm (UTC)Yeah, Alice is not a super sympathetic protagonist, although she gets better, and as for grimness... well, it's Hell... and yes to the lack of nuance. I thought the last was managed a little better than in the other books of hers I've seen, though. And I found some of it quite funny! But yeah, if you don't like this one I wouldn't bother with Kuang's other work.
I've seen at least one review that did think it was boring. Between its sendup of academia and arguing with it in my head about Dante, I didn't, though!
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 10:10 am (UTC)One reaction I definitely shared was first being impressed with the magical tattoo as something that both worked as itself and a metaphor (I thought), and feeling let down later when there was actual sexual molestation in addition to the tattoo.
In terms of Recent Events: this reminds me again of your observation, back when you read the Odyssee for the first time, of how the idea of the Underworld develops and is different each time from Homer's take to Virgil's in the Aeneid to Dante's. And now I wonder what the magical academic equivalent would be to Agamemnon not shutting up about his murder!
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 12:05 pm (UTC)Someone who didn't get tenure and can't shut up about it?
ETA: no, it would be a senior professor who lost his job for having an inappropriate sexual relationship with a subordinate.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 11:29 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 11:19 pm (UTC)In terms of Recent Events: this reminds me again of your observation, back when you read the Odyssee for the first time, of how the idea of the Underworld develops and is different each time from Homer's take to Virgil's in the Aeneid to Dante's.
This was one thing I did really like about the book, that it cast the whole thing as "you see what your mind is used to seeing," so Dante saw politicians and writers with associated sins, and Alice and Peter see academics... with their associated sins.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-27 07:18 am (UTC)However, the impression I get from novels and the like is that often to always, the students also work as research assistants for those professors who are the equivalent of a Magister- and then Doktorvater in the Anglosphere. This is not the case in Germany. I mean, it can be once you graduate beyond Magister/Master, and most research assistants of professors I've met did that once they were past their own doctoral thesis because they were aiming for a university career themselves.
Another thing, out of my own experience: my main subject was German Literature, and my two secondary subjects (you had to have three when I was studying the Humanities, one main and two secondary) were Theatre and Mass Communication, respectively. I did two Hauptseminare with my Magister- and then Doctorvater, and I also attended one of his lectures, but he was by no means the professor whose classes and lectures I attended the most. (I got along with him very well, btw, the reason was simply that there were a lot of other classes and lectures I was interested in.) So while of course he advised me on my two thesis - the Magister and the Doctor one - and provided feedback and tips through their stages of existence, he wasn't someone I completely depended on to get through my studies. Plus the idea I as a reader get from novels such as this one and something like "The Secret History" is that in UK and US universities, some professors give some type of elite classes with only a few attendants and everyone wants to be in those, and this just didn't happen at my university. The number of attendants on a Hauptseminar could be limited for practicality reasons, but it operated on a first register, first served basis, not with the professor in question but with the university offices. As soon as the schedule for the next term and decription of classes was anounced, you picked what you wanted and needed and tried to get those.
(Could be I osmosed wrong, of course, about the Anglo-American practice!)
Lastly, of course and a main difference between the systems: we don't have campuses. Or dormitories etc. Students live all over town. (On the other hand, you don't have to pay these gigantic sums of money in order to study at all.)
(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:Mephisto and Student scene I
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene I
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene from Faust II - A
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene from Faust II - B
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene from Faust II - B
From:Mephisto and Student scene II
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene II
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene II
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene II
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene II
From:Re: Mephisto and Student scene II
From:Mephisto and Student scene, on screen
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:(no subject)
From:no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 10:31 pm (UTC)Alice is a magician who seems to do magic based on historical research with a giant dose of philosophy. Bob -- I mean Peter -- is a magician who seems to do magic based on logic and mathematics. Like, okay, both of them sort of overlap in the philosophy realm, but it makes zero sense to me that both of them would be working with the same advisor. How does that even work?
That matches my experience, actually, but my PhD was in a very small, very niche, very interdisciplinary program. If I look at the program today, students only have 4 choices for their advisors (we had 6 or 7 whole faculty in my day!), so students with wildly different research approaches are going to end up with the same advisor.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 11:28 pm (UTC)That matches my experience, actually, but my PhD was in a very small, very niche, very interdisciplinary program. If I look at the program today, students only have 4 choices for their advisors (we had 6 or 7 whole faculty in my day!), so students with wildly different research approaches are going to end up with the same advisor.
So... this also matches my experience to a certain extent, but what I didn't put in the post is that this guy is the sort of celebrity prof where he picks and chooses his students, and in fact he hardly ever takes anyone. As opposed to my advisor who was very welcoming :)
(Oh, I also forgot to mention that he sets Alice and Peter against each other, always talking up the other one! This guy is THE WORST.)
no subject
Date: 2026-07-26 11:39 pm (UTC)IT DOES NOT.
no subject
Date: 2026-07-27 02:41 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-07-27 05:05 pm (UTC)